Workamajig has always provided a way for you to store your project files and integrate them with the rest of the information on your projects. But, over the years we have been getting one consistent request from many of our clients. You have been telling us that you would like to be able to use Workamajig on our servers, but you would like to store your files at your location. In order to allow for this, we have been working on a new structure for saving files in Workamajig. With all changes, there are some differences between the new system and the old.
- We have an additional guide full of WebDAV FAQs.
WebDAV based file system
- Allows you to store files at your location (even with multiple offices)
- Faster uploads and downloads
- Multi-file upload and download
- Access your files from your phone or tablet
- Map a drive to your Workamajig files
- Simpler administration and user interface
- Hosting a file server at your location will require that you have an IT contact on your end. You will then be responsible for the setup and maintenance of your file server based on our guides and can reach out to Workamajig support once you have completed the setup and/or need further assistance.
- If you host your own WebDAV file server with a unique URL (i.e. JigFiles.OurServerName.com), then be sure your URL is accessible in and out of your local network. As you may need to adjust firewall settings to allow proper access.
- If you are moving your file storage from our Workamajig server to your own/hosted WebDAV storage location, please review the File Transfer Process guide.
- Keep in mind that if the file storage is moved to your server, YOU are then responsible for the backup and maintenance of these files. Workamajig will no longer be able to include them in our backup/maintenance procedures in case of a catastrophic failure.
- If you do not have the IT staff to maintain your internal WebDAV server, please consider using one of the hosted solutions: Amazon S3 or Box.com
Platforms And Setup Info
Currently, Workamajig supports connections to Windows and Mac WebDAV servers. Along with Box.com and Amazon S3 hosted solutions.
NOTE: Microsoft Azure can be used when setting up a virtual server with the Workamajig WebDAV service installed
To read more on the requirements of using each platform, please refer to File Storage Options.
For the setup guides of each platform, choose from the following:
Security Rights And Management
All rights to files within a Projects > Files section is managed via WebDAV Setup in Workamajig, even if you are hosting the files on a local server.
Right to Files elsewhere is the system (i.e. Diary Posts, Activities, To Dos, Project Requests, Etc) have fewer restrictions and are determined by Security Group Settings.
It is a good file management process to not use spaces or special characters in the files names. However, we have made exceptions to that rule by adding replacement text on the WebDAV side of things, while allowing the user experience to appear as desired.
What this means is that if you name a file "This@That.jpg". Then this is what you will see in the Files section of the project. Yet on the server where the file is now stored it will be renamed to something that looks like "This_and_That.jpg".
If you ever come across a situation where a single file becomes inaccessible. Please let us know so we can verify that there is an exception in place. However, you can always remove all spaces and special character to ensure better use of the system.
Changing File Locations
If you are in need of changing where you store your files, we have a recommended set of steps to follow in doing so. Please refer to this File Transfer Process for more information.
Depending on your setup, there can be up to 4 different root folders that Workamajig stores files.
If using a hosted option like Box or Amazon, then it simply creates one folder per project.
If using a Windows or Mac WebDAV server, it can be set up to point to 4 different root file system paths for these areas (i.e.. They could be on 4 different physical servers, or just one). You can also move these around as needed as long as the WebDAV server configuration is updated as well.
This is where files for active projects are stored
You can archive files through Workamajig and move them to this folder once a project is completed.
This is where any attachments to things like activities, tasks and expense reports is stored.
When files are sent for review, a copy is stored here along with the processed images that the client views.
NOTES ABOUT ATTACHMENTS AND REVIEWS FOLDERS
Attachments and Reviews and the files and folders within are only accessible if you have direct access (Box, Amazon, Windows, Mac) to the server hosting your files.
Attachments and Reviews have a more "system oriented" file and folder naming system and are really not meant to be browsed like the active and archive folders.
File and Folder Hierarchy
You can configure how files are stored for the Active and Archive folders from WebDAV Setup.
The following configurations are currently available:
Example ("Files" refers to the files and folders of that projects Files section)
ClientID - ClientName
../Root/ABC - Abracadabra/15-ABC-1234/"Files"
If you are hosting your own server and have yet to migrate to the current WebDAV file protocol for your file server, please contact us ASAP by emailing email@example.com and we can assist from there.
To get yourself versed with the available options, please read over the File Storage Options guide.