To All Local Hosted Workamajig Administrators and IT Support Personal:
As you may already know, Microsoft support for their 2003 Server ended on July 14, 2015 (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/products/windows-server-2003). In accordance with this announcement, we ended our support of all 2003 Servers as of that date. Please see the Migration Steps section in this guide which will include our minimum server requirements and our migration steps. After reviewing the document, if you have any questions or would like to schedule the migration please contact Mark Rosen at Install@workamajig.com.
Workamajig Server And Software Requirements
Below are the minimum requirements for Workamajig. Please remember these are the minimum requirements and we don't recommend them for companies with over 30 users. There are various ways to set-up your Workamajig site for maximum efficiency. For our clients the typical install is done on one server (Web/Application SQL and File Storage (WebDAV). However, depending on the number of users as well as, the specific functions that are being used on the system i.e. functions that rely heavily on the SQL Server such as reports you may want to configure the site differently. You can use separate servers [Web/Application SQL and File Storage (WebDAV Server)] and/or increase the minimum hardware requirements for its optimal use.
A. Here is the minimum hardware configuration for the server:
1. Current generation processor
2. 16 GB RAM or higher
3. 100 GB drive space for IIS web application and MS SQL database. File server should be on a separate server with space depending on files/attachments needed for collaboration and reviews.
4. 100/1000 Base-T Network Card
B. Software requirements for the Workamajig server. These must be installed prior to the installation of the Workamajig server software:
- Web Server must be installed on a Windows 2016 or 2019 (64-bit mode) R2 Standard Edition Server. Other 64-bit applications (like Exchange) must run on a separate server from the Workamajig webserver (Workamajig can be run on a virtual server). We do not support Windows Essentials Servers formerly known as Windows Small Business Servers.
- Install 2014, 2016, 2017 or 2019 SQL Standard: the standard version will allow you more functionality and faster speeds and thus is recommended for companies with a user count greater than 30 people.
Install SQL Express: This is free version of SQL provided by Microsoft. There are a number of limitations but may be a viable option for small agencies (fewer than 30 people).
NOTE: MS SQL Express Server has a database size limitation of 10GB. When this is exceeded the system will no longer work. You will need to update to SQL Standard version and above or look to external hosting options.
- Please provide Workamajig with the sa login and password for the SQL server. The db user must be the owner of the database and your SQL Server Collation must be set to SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS. If you decide to this via a Web Session you must have the credentials on hand before we can schedule your installation.
- TLS 1.0 and 1.1 must be disabled (we currently support TLS 1.2 or higher)
- Please provide SMTP address and login information for setting up Workamajig task manager and installer. This is used for your outgoing notifications for example your overdue timesheets, calendar notifications, diary notes etc.
- ASP.NET 4.7.2.
- IIS Installed via the Server Manager Counsel using the following setup (please see screen shots)
- Please make sure that both the HTTP Errors and the WebDAV Publish Roles are not installed. If they are already installed, they will need to be removed and a restart will be needed.
- ISAPI Roles located in the Application Development area are required to be installed along with the Performance Roles.
- Make sure the .net features are allowed.
8. SQL Management tool needs to be installed (i.e. studio express.)
9. NOTE: SQL Reporting Services cannot be installed with Workamajig if SQL is on the same server.
10. A URL or IP that resolves internally and externally (you can use SSL). This is not needed if you have your server is closed off based on your contract with us. If you plan to block external access to your server but want to auto-update or get a new registration key you will need to white list these IP’s addresses include 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11,18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124,126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11 and 18.104.22.168.
11. RDC access to your server to install the software or we can install via a web session. Admin rights will be needed for the install. If you would like to go over the server setup please advise us after the install has been completed.
Note: If you are installing a test Instance we will set up your production instance first and once your user, billing, etc, data is entered we will install your test instance. Additionally, we will show you how to reduce the user count in order to reflect your test license of 5 users.
Your IT staff will need to include the Workamajig data and application into your existing backup strategy you will need to back up the SQL database for Workamajig and all the Workamajig working folders (Web, Task, Manager, Digital Assets, WebDAV Config and Exchange Sync (if applicable). Additionally, Workamajig does not advise or train your staff on how to perform backups or restoration of files. Workamajig is not responsible for any network, hardware, firewall, mail (Exchange, Gmail, etc.), backups, or any other clients, components not related to our software.
Our technicians can help you install Workamajig and configure it to automatically download and apply future updates. If you wish to change these settings, you can run the WMJInstaller.exe application under the Workamajig - Task Manager Folder. You will need to stop the services first. Make and save your changes. Then, restart the Workamajig services for the changes to take effect.
Public Access (Local Hosted Servers Only)
While it really is your contractual obligation to allow us access to your server for our billing purposes, we do have a way out of this obligation for you. However, this 'way out' does have its limitations.
You may have already prepaid for a set number of login-users for the year. Currently, you have the ability to increase, at any time, the number of login-users over and above that which you've contracted for. At the end of each month, our servers are supposed to 'ping' your server to determine if you've used more login-users than you've prepaid for. If you have, then we bill you for that overage. That's the way that it's supposed to work, allowing you the flexibility of adding additional users at any time.
Alternatively, we can license to you an 'Installed' license registration for the number of login-users that you've prepaid for. The limitations here are simple.
1. You need to continue to prepay annually for the users that you want to activate.
2. If you need more users, you can't add them yourself until we issue you a new license registration for an increased number of users.
3. The license registration for your server will necessarily expire at the end of the period for which you've prepaid. Meaning that after that date, you will be unable to use the software until you've prepaid again for the next year, and we've re-issued you a fresh license registration for your server.
These are the small limitations that some of our clients are willing to live with. If you also would like this alternative, with its concomitant limitations, please make sure you contact our admin department, and we'll set you up accordingly.
- Manual Update
- Auto Update
- Updating Test Server
- File Settings
- Registration Key
- Mail Settings
- Database Settings
- LDAP Configuration
- Server - Enable Logging
Need the Workamajig application and data moved to a new/different server?
We also now our have the ability to move your Workamajig Instance to our App/Cloud servers.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org prior to taking any action so the transition can be done as smoothly as possible and that you understand the costs associated. You can download a copy of the steps necessary to complete the migration yourself by clicking this link for the Windows Server Migration. Please make sure to review and follow the documentation carefully to ensure that you fully understand what is required. A slight misstep could invalidate the entire process.
Alternatively, Workamajig can help with your server migration (please note that there is an additional fee for this service).
- You will want to first backup the database to move over to the new server and send it to us.
- Provide us with RDC (Remote Desktop Control) access (we will need admin privileges), as well as the rest of the necessary info such as SMTP, URL, etc.
- After we have installed Workamajig we will give you a temporary license so you can test the general functionality of the new server. Once we get your approval we will schedule the final migration in which you will need to stop the old server, get me the final DB and Digital Assets or Files. We will also be converting you over to the new file system or WebDAV if that has not already be done.
- We will assist to restore the database and get you the permanent license.
If you have any questions about your current server or about setting up a new server to host Workamajig, please email email@example.com.