The billing section contains three apps, your today page for managing your billings, the dashboard for metrics, and clients for entering & updating your client records.
If you do not see items described in this guide following your login to Workamajig, please contact your agency's Workamajig administrator(s).
NOTE: You will need at least the security right of 'add and edit client invoices and credits' to be able to bill any project.
(Click on any feature button to learn more about that feature)
- Billing: Today billing
From this page, you can view your billing worksheets needing review, view the bill as of a specific date, view your invoices waiting to be approved & waiting to be printed/emailed, and view all invoices, receipts, deposits, worksheets & transactions on your projects. You will also be able to view your conversations & the daily feed for the day’s date.
- Billing: Billing dashboard
From this dashboard, you can graphically view your revenue for the month, AR aging, billing actions for the month & current open amounts. This can be viewed in month-to-date & year-to-date formats. You can resend invoices by drilling into the aging details.
- Billing: Billing graphs
From this page, you can see some default graphs relating to billing. However, this is one section where you can also add more and customize the graphs for visual reference.
- Billing: Clients
This is a list view of your clients, along with the default & any custom views you made to report on clients overall. You can create new clients from here, and click on any client to access their record further.
Your billing cycle should be conducted in the following order: 1) retainer billing, 2) media billing, and 3) generate project billing worksheets.
The reason behind this order is that it allows you to clear out all transactions related to pre-approved invoicing, consisting of your retainer & media transactions. By clearing out these transactions/projects, your normal project & billing via billing worksheets will be cleaner.
- From Menu > Billing > Today billing > Mass billing > To bill as off (date): Retainers.
- In the Client text box, enter a client id if you want to search for retainers for a specific client.
- In the Through date text box, enter a date to search for transactions through. If you only want to bill expenses through the end of last month, The through date would be the last day of last month.
- click the blue ... icon to view further search options
- Click 'search'
- Select the retainers you wish to bill
- click $ 'generate'
- In the Invoice date text box, enter the invoice date that should be used on the generated invoices.
- In the Posting date text box, enter the posting date that should be used on the generated invoices.
- Select the One invoice per: retainer | client | parent client
- Click Generate invoices button. This will create the invoices and send them for approval.
- From Menu > Billing > Today billing >To bill as of (date) > Media.
- Set the 'through date' for your media orders. Typically these will be out 3-6 months.
- click the blue ... icon for further search options
- click 'search'
- Select the orders & vouchers you wish to bill for.
- Click $ 'generate'
- select the invoice date, one invoice per & one line item per settings you would like to generate the invoices with.
- click Generate invoices button. This will create the invoices & send them for approval
The use of billing worksheets is ideal for agencies that handle many projects at one time & require input from account managers in the billing process.
This integrated billing process allows you to complete the review process faster, with fewer mistakes & missed billing opportunities.
Overview of the steps taken when using billing worksheets:
Generation: The accounting department initiates the generation of billing worksheets. They are forwarded to the designated reviewer(s).
Review: A designated reviewer (the account manager on a project) can review, edit & transfer transactions. The billing worksheet is then forwarded back to accounting for approval.
Approval: A designated approver can edit transactions & approve billing worksheets.
Create invoices: Once approved, the accounting department can turn the billing worksheets into client invoices.
There are a couple of options that can be set at the project level to help determine how the project should be billed:
Billing specifications should be set at the project level under the Project setup > Billing tab:
Billing method (time & materials, fixed fee, or retainer)
Labor billing rates
Purchasing & media markups
NOTE: This information can also be set at the client level & defaulted onto projects & billing worksheets when they are created, further simplifying the setup.
On the Accounting tab of the project, the optional billing schedule can be edited to designate the project's billing to be incremental. This will inform the system to flag this project to create a fixed fee billing worksheet based on the billing schedule provided on the project.
NOTE: This step is not necessary for retainers, as this information is defined in the retainer plan.
From Menu > Billing > Today billing > Billing worksheets > click Generate worksheets.
Specify criteria such as client ID, through date & options.
Click the Search button to see a list of projects meeting your criteria.
Select the projects you want to create the billing worksheet for. We recommend that you use the Select all box.
Click Generate worksheet button.
Each project will have its own billing worksheet to be reviewed and approved. If using the One invoice per client option, for example, then the worksheets will appear with a master billing worksheet.
Approve billing worksheets
Once the AE from the project is done with the worksheet, they will submit it for approval. The worksheet will now be in your My items to approve box. This allows you to review what the AE has asked to be done for the client project. You are able to edit & approve the worksheet or reject it with comments sending it back to the AE for changes. Once fully approved, the worksheet is ready to become an invoice.
Create invoices from billing worksheets
Prior to generating invoices, go to Menu > Billing > Billing worksheets. Confirm that all worksheets for the period have been approved. Cycle through the listings, 'in review' and 'submit for approval'. These should be empty.
From this same screen, click on the Generate invoice icon, on the left side.
From the Generate invoice screen, all approved billing worksheets & master worksheets can be found in the Create invoice tab of the Billing worksheet menu window. Simply, indicate which worksheets you would like to bill & press the Generate invoices button.
All related billing worksheets must be approved before the master worksheet can be approved.
Search for saved billing worksheets.
Billing worksheets are permanently stored in the database to provide an audit trail of the billing from Menu > Billing > Billing worksheet > Search.
When you open a billing worksheet to its Worksheet settings tab, you will see a summary of the key information. The Details tab of a billing worksheet shows the transactions that were automatically included on the worksheet during the initial generation process.
NOTE: Projects can only have one billing worksheet in progress at any time. Also, no transactions can be modified outside of the billing worksheet while they are included on a billing worksheet currently in progress.
How an invoice prints out are determined by the invoice layout selected and how the invoice is generated using the above methods. It is suggested that you generate the invoice with as much detail as possible, then use the invoice layout to print to the level of detail/summary you want.
You will be tracking purchasing via the following locations:
Menu > Billing > Client invoice
Menu > Billing > Billing worksheets
Menu > Billing > Receipts
Menu > Reports > AR reports > AR aging
Videos & Guides
- Billing today [video]
- Billing worksheets [video]
- Mass billing [video]
- Receiving money [video]
- Billing dashboard [video]
- Project estimates [video]
- Past webinars
- System setup: Services [in-depth guide]
- System setup: Service rate sheets [in-depth guide]
- System setup: Purchase items [in-depth guide]
- Item rate sheets [in-depth guide]
- Transaction preferences [in-depth guide]
- System setup: GL tracking options [in-depth guide]
- Import matrix: GL accounts [in-depth guide]
- Project billing status codes [in-depth guide]
- Get labor rate from [in-depth guide]
- Get markup from [in-depth guide]
- Import matrix: Sales tax rates [guide]
- Invoice templates [in-depth guide]
Related feature guides
- Billing worksheets overview [in-depth guide]
- Client statements [in-depth guide]
- AR aging [in-depth guide]
- Retainers overview [in-depth guide]
- Client invoices overview [in-depth guide]
- Project billing [in-depth guide]
- Mass billing: Time & materials [in-depth guide]
- Media billing & accrual [in-depth guide]