NOTE: 1099 reporting has been updated to comply with changes set forth by the IRS for tax year 2020 - including the new form, 1099-NEC, which replaces box 7 on 1099-Misc.
IRS Info: https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1099msc
1099 reports and forms will no longer include Credit Card payments unless explicitly added in the criteria. For existing vendors set to 1099-Misc box 7 you will need to change them to the Form1099-NEC form and Box: 01. From the Purchasing>Vendors: View> You can use the mass update selected vendors.
The system will no longer look at 1099-Misc Box 7 following this update.
If you have any questions please contact email@example.com
Below are instructions on how to print the 1099 forms for your contract employees and the 1096 Summary report that will be sent to the IRS.
NOTE: 1099/1096 dollar amounts reported are based strictly on Vendor Payments and Charges.
You need to ensure that the following information is entered regarding your Company: Company Name, Address, EIN Number, State EIN Number (if appropriate).
Company information is setup via Menu > Admin/Manager > System Setup > Account Information > Account Setup.
If you are using GL Companies, you will set up this information for each GL Company from Menu > Admin/Manager > System Setup > GL Settings > GL Companies. If you are not using GL Companies, then you only need to populate the Company Address Information in the section above.
NOTE: You must enter a Company Name, Address and EIN number(s) for each GL Company you have created.
Vendor information is setup via the Vendors Company Record by going to Menu > Purchasing > Vendors. Then create or find an existing Vendor in the system.
Ensure the following fields are entered in the record:
Vendor Details > Company Info
- Company Name
Purchasing Defaults > Payment Options
- DBA (if appropriate)
- 1099 Form (i.e. MISC)
- BOX (i.e. 8)
- EIN Number
Entering Data For The Previous/Starting Year
When you Go Live For Accounting in Workamajig, your balances are already set, but you may not have all the transactions needed to print an accurate total for your 1099 in Workamajig for the first year. So here is what you can do:
- Create one Payment per vendor for the total amount that is not already entered in Workamajig.
- Apply it to an expense account of your choosing.
- Click "Opening Transaction".
- Click Post.
- Repeat steps 1-4 for all vendors.
- Print the 1099.
This way you can print the amount total for the 1099 report form, yet since Opening Transaction is checked, it will not affect your GL.
Vendor Payments / Charges
Workamajig bases 1099/1096 reporting on Vendor Payments only. It does not look at Vendor Invoices or Expense Reports. If the vendor has a designated 1099 Form and Box selected, all payments will be considered for 1099/1096 reporting.
If there is an amount included on the payment that should have been excluded from 1099 reporting, simply open the individual payments. On the payment line is a box for you to enter the Excluded From 1099 amount. This field can be edited even though the payment has been posted and cleared.
NOTE: The amount reported for 1099's is based upon Payments. Credit Card Charges made to the vendor will only be included if selected to Include Credit Card Charges checkbox is selected. By default, credit card charges made to the vendor will be excluded.
The following is an example of where the exclude option is in Credit Card Charges (after the Charge has been created).
Printing The 1099/1096 Forms
To print the appropriate form, go to Menu > Everyone > Reports > AP Reports > 1099 (Misc/Int/NEC) Form.
1. Run the Report Form
Choose 1099 Misc, 1099 Int, 1099 NEC, 1096 Misc, 1096 Int from the drop down.
NOTE: for 1096 report, you must enter in the field "Contact Person" prior to printing. This person is generally the person responsible for your 1099 reporting to the government.
2. Generate the PDF
Click Generate > PDF from the Run Report screen.
This will create a formatted file that will be used to send to your printer.
- The forms you can purchase are listed in the next section.
NOTE: The Print and Download buttons appear in different areas based on the browser.
3. Print/Send the PDF to your printer
Ensure the following settings are set on your printer, otherwise, the form will not print correctly:
- Page Scaling = None.
- Uncheck Auto-Rotate and Center.
- Uncheck Fit To Page.
- For Acrobat Reader X: set Size Options = Actual Size and Rotate = Portrait.
- There have been some reports that the above instructions still do not print correctly. In this case, it is usually due to you viewing the PDF in a browser window, which may affect how it prints. Please save the file to your desktop, then open the file in Acrobat Reader. This should resolve the sizing issue.
- If the total number is in the incorrect place, this is usually caused by the Vendor Record not having a 1099 Box selected.
Where To Get The Printing Forms
You can get the appropriate tax forms from www.staples.com.
This method will generate a file that can be used to upload to the IRS eFile system. Prior to using this method you must setup an account with the IRS.
This method is not controlled by Workamajig. All requirements needed to eFile should be setup and confirmed with the IRS.
1. Run the Report Form
Choose 1099 Misc, 1099 Int, 1096 Misc, 1096 Int from the drop down.
2. Generate the TEXT file
Click Generate > TEXT from the Run Report screen.
3. Enter the appropriate information in the fields provided
- Transmitter Control Code: enter Identifier code provided by the IRS
- Contact Name: Enter full name of person that will be point of contact for your agency
- Contact Telephone Number: Enter area code + phone number for point of contact for your agency
- Contact Email Address: enter email address for point of contact for your agency
- Combined Federal/State Filer: check if appropriate for your agency
- Prior reporting year: check if appropriate for current filing
- Test file: check if sending a test filing to the IRS test server
4. Click Generate Text File
This will create a plain text file that you will save to your computer. You then upload this file on the IRS eFile website.
NOTE: An error report will be presented if any errors are found. These will need to be corrected before you can eFile. You can view the file/report after pressing Text for a more detailed analysis of this file for errors. However, if prompted to save/overwrite the file after viewing it, click NO.