In order for the Project Manager/Traffic Manager to better understand the total workload of the team, Workamajig allows you to connect individual's Google Workspace-Calendar into the Workamajig Calendar that will feed into the Traffic management area of Workamajig.
This method does not require any login information to work.
The Workamajig Calendar contains a default personal calendar. Do not use this one to link to your Google Workspace calendar. You must create a new calendar per the instructions below for this method to work.
- This connection requires the use of the calendar "secret iCal" link. Access to this link is controlled at the G-Workspace Admin level. If you do not see the Secret link, please contact your G-Workspace Admin.
- If you make changes to a Recurring Meeting in Google, please note that many of those changes do get included in the downstream of data we receive. So in many cases you will want to stop the current meeting and its future occurrences. Then start a new Recurring Meeting in google with the updated days and times.
- If you are accepting Reoccurring Meeting Invites form someone in another time zone, the time zone and recurrence is based on the other party, not yours. So the meeting may appear on the wrong day or time in Workamajig as a result. In this case, have them send you an invite to a standalone meeting, as that will contain the correct data.
To make the secret link visible, your Google Workspace Admin needs to turn this on:
- Go to: https://admin.google.com/Dashboard and login
- Click “Apps”
- Click “Google Workspace”
- Click “Calendar”
- Click “Sharing Settings”
- Under “External sharing options for primary calendars” there are four options. The bottom two are the only ones that will release your private address – choose either of these.
When creating a calendar in Workamajig to link your G-Workspace Personal calendar, you must select Blockout Meetings for the calendar to affect Traffic/Resourcing information. This affects all meetings on the calendar. If you have meetings that should not do this, a different calendar would need to be linked to Workamajig so the setting can be left unselected.
G-Workspace Personal Calendar
1) From your personal Google Calendar, click on triple dot icon along the right side of the calendar name
2) Select Settings and Sharing
3) Under Secret address in iCal format> click the COPY icon
NOTE: You MUST use the Secret address in iCal format
4) From Workamajig> click on Workamajig>Everyone>Calendar
5) from the calendar: click on ...more>Display Options
6) Click +Create new personal calendar
7) From New calendar screen fill in the following:
- Calendar name.
- Check Subscribe to a Calendar From URL.
- Click into Subscription URL> Paste Link from G-Workspace Personal Calendar.
- Blockout Meetings>select how the calendar should handle the subscribed meetings Not Block Out/Only Block Out if meeting is busy/All Blocked Out
- Project Number in Description: (Optional)>if checked, Workamajig will look at the meeting description for a project number and task number.
In Outlook meeting description use the format [ProjectNumber|TaskID] >Ex.[19-abc-123|4.1]
**open single-square-bracket+Project Number+PIPE (shift+\ ) +Task ID + close single-square-bracket**
- Click Save
8) Click on the X icon in top right corner to close the panel and go back to the main calendar page
The connection to Google Workspace Personal Calendar is now set up and you should see events from your Calendar in the view.
NOTE: The subsequent syncs from G-Workspace are performed at the time of opening the Workamajig Calendar. Workamajig will refresh the feed from Google if the last opening was done over 12hrs prior.
If you need the calendar to perform a refresh sooner:
a) click on ...more>Display options
b) click on the Workamajig calendar
c) click Refresh Feed
The Blockout meetings settings will ensure that events on the G-Workspace calendar will be seen as a "blockout" on the Workamajig calendar, and thus visible in the Traffic Manager>Staff Schedule screen