Your Workamajig calendar can be synced with other calendars for the purpose of integration, but only to a degree. The meetings themselves, the subject, the time and attendees can all sync. However do note that while in the calendar view of Workamajig there are other things that are visible inline with your meetings, such as Activities, Tasks, etc, only true meetings that you are an attendee on will sync over to your other calendar.
- Meetings in Workamajig have a lot of proprietary options that do not sync over, such as linked projects, companies, contacts, etc.
- While changes to meetings in Workamajig may push instantly to your other calendars, any changes made in your other calendar applications may take anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour to fully sync over (in extreme cases).
- When syncing, we recommend you choose a "primary" calendar. This means either Workamajig, Google, Exchange or iCal are where you start new meetings and update them. Then use the other calendar to read-only. Working with a "primary" calendar scenario will minimize meeting conflicts between systems.
- Workamajig can send meeting reminders, along with your other application. So if you do a sync, you may want to disable the notifications being sent from one of the two sides.
Recommendations And Considerations
Recommended use when syncing other Calendars with Workamajig's.
NOTE: While we do not recommend syncing to multiple devices, even if Workamajig is at the center. The above example does show that you can sync with various other calendar applications at the same time. See the next example as to why using and syncing multiple calendar applications outside of Workamajig's radius can run amuck in your organization.
- If you use Exchange (Outlook) as your primary Calendar application in your office, then we recommend syncing one-way To Workamajig only. This way Workamajig simply acts as a read-only calendar, and then if you add meetings in Workamajig, they would only affect features of the Workamajig applications.
- If you use Google Calendar as your primary Calendar application in your office, then we recommend syncing one-way To Workamajig only. This way Workamajig simply acts as a read-only calendar, and then if you add meetings in Workamajig, they would only affect features of the Workamajig applications.
- If you use iCal as your primary Calendar application in your office, then this is handled via the CalDAV setup of the application. This is a two-way sync with your personal Workamajig calendar only. While you can set up to view other peoples calendars in the iCal, any edits you make to theirs thought this way will not take. Instead, others can share their iCal calendar with you in iCal and you can make edits to their calendar that way.
NOT Recommended if/when syncing multiple Calendar applications with Workamajig.
- As noted above, we do not recommend syncing with multiple devices, but if you do, this example represents how meetings can be edited outside of Workamajig's knowledge, thus potentially causing sync issues. These types of issues are not inherently caused by Workamajig, but with the other calendar applications as well and the overall process.
- When editing events outside of Workamajig's radius, sync issues can be caused by numerous factors, these include but are not limited to:
- Time Zones being different in the separate applications.
- Sync Delays of when the edits are sent to other applications.
- Timing issues of when an event was last edited and in which application.
- Where even in today's digital environment, not all syncs are immediate.
- Editing the same event in two separate applications, then syncing back to another application.
- Things can get confusing when its a situation of who edited it last and which is the correct change.
Delays with syncing
Even in today's technologically advanced society, the term sync does not mean instant updates. In addition to that, when dealing with other applications, we are not in control of how those applications behave and in many cases, how often they sync from their end.
To give you an idea of how and when the sync occurs, here are some examples:
- Workamajig > Google is instant, however, Google > Workamajig is delayed.
- Workamajig > Exchange and Exchange > Workamajig are both delayed.
- CalDAV > Workamajig is instant, yet Workamajig > CalDAV is delayed.
- iCal has settings for how often it refreshes/syncs its calendar view.
- The Exchange sync frequency is manually set in the sync tool when its setup. Also with an Exchange Sync, its process will cycle back through all mailboxes before coming back around to the one that just synced.
- The Google sync in Workamajig is set to query/sync edits from Google every 10 Minutes.
- Even with the above settings and understanding, Syncs can still be delayed even longer due to settings within each application and the number of users and the number of meetings to sync.
To sync your personal Outlook calendar with your Workamajig Default Calendar, a few things need to be understood and set up prior.
Firstly, we do not sync directly with outlook, we sync with your Exchange server. So direct access to your exchange server will be required through our sync tool that you must install on your exchange server or another computer that can connect to your exchange server and our Workamajig server.
Once the sync is setup and your IT has learned how the setup and maintenance of this sync tool works, then we can sync individual users by adding your exchange login credentials to the appropriate section of your My Settings screen. From there the first sync may take some time to start, but then after that, the sync occurs once per sweep. This sweep, however, is based on how much data there is to sync.
To sync your personal Google calendar with your Default Calendar in Workamajig, you simply just enter your Google login credentials from the calendar setup screen. Once established, the first sync may take an hour to start. However, after that, it's pretty quick. Again when you create a meeting in Workamajig, it's instantly pushed to your Google calendar, however meeting added or modified in Google may take time to sync back to Workamajig.
If you have multiple personal Google calendars, then you must also make the same amount of Workamajig personal calendars and do a 1 to 1 sync with each. However, we recommend you only have one personal calendar overall and then use the Private check box, which will prevent anyone from reading the subject or description of the meeting.
NOTE: When using CalDAV, you can only edit meeting for events that you are the organizer of. So while its possible to view other users calendar, regardless if you have edit rights to that user's calendar in Workamajig, you can only view their calendar/meetings in this sync.
To sync your iCal (desktop or phone) with your Workamajig calendar, then what you do is copy the CalDAV URL from your Workamajig calendar setup screen and use that as your server and path when setting up iCal.
When you create a new iCal account, choose CalDAV, enter your Workamajig username and password, and the URL. Once created you can start syncing and editing your personal calendar right away as the sync is very fast back and forth.
While Android devices do not have CalDAV as a native calendar protocol, there are several apps you can purchase that fulfil this role.
Using the CalDAV URL in your Workamajig Calendar setup screen and your Workamajig login and password, you can then sync your Android calendar with Workamajig.
For any other devices that support CalDAV, feel free to explore syncing with them by using the CalDAV URL in your Workamajig Calendar setup screen and your Workamajig login and password.
An alternative to syncing and the potential issues is can cause, you can also try using Subscriptions. Which is basically a one way sync. This allows you to control which calendar sends data over to a calendar on the receiving end. And you can do this vice versa as well, so you have data going back and fourth, but from designated calendars.