In Workamajig, for your transactions to be seen in the general ledger and therefore available for financial reporting, each transaction must be approved and then, posted. There are two methods of Posting transactions: 1) Single method - via the Approved transaction screen, ie. voucher, client invoice, or payment, and 2) Batch method - via the Post GL transaction screen.
Which method should I use?
Depending on the number of transactions and how your agency is organized will determine which method is best for you.
Single method - Each item is posted after approval. This is generally used when the person who approves the item will also post the item.
Batch method - Blocks/all Items are posted at once. This is generally used when the person approving the invoice differs from the accounting person or you prefer a review process before committing items to the general ledger.
When should I post?
This is truly a preference of your agency. Obviously, if using the single method, it would be at the time of approval. For the batch method, many will review & post all items that were approved that day. Some will wait until the end of the week to do so. So it is truly up to you. However, before running any financial reports, all transactions for the subject time period must be posted to ensure the accuracy of the reports.
Is the posting date important?
Yes! The posting date set on the item will determine when it will affect your general ledger and therefore your financial reports. By default, when you create an invoice or payment, the 'posting date' will be auto-set to "Today's" date.
In the case of client invoice & receipt, for example, the receipt posting date will determine when the invoice has been 'paid' and therefore be removed from the AR aging report.
What is 'post sales using detail'?
This refers to a default setting from GL tracking options where the sales account that is used when you press Post, is based on the setup of your services & purchase items. You can use the Select a report drop-down to run the Preposting by transaction report in case you encounter an error and need to correct either the record or the setup of your services & Items.
Posting a single transaction
Following the approval of the item, a Post button will appear in the top right corner of the screen. Simply click the button to post.
The following example is that of a client invoice. Note the Post button.
However, client invoices, vendor invoices, receipts, payments, journal entries, and credit card charges are the main records that can post down to the general ledger.
Posting multiple transactions (batch)
The batch method allows you to gather & review all items prior to posting. We assume that you already understand how to approve the subject items.
Menu > Accounting > Today accounting > Items needing attention: Unposted transactions
The Post transaction screen is divided into 3 parts: 1) Action buttons, 2) Search options and 3) Results grid.
- Refresh: allows you to refresh the screen after resetting search options
- Print: allows you to print 'preposting by account' or 'preposting by transaction' report
- Post: allows you to post all selected transactions in the results grid
- ...more: provides access to System settings allowing you to define the columns in the results grid.
This area allows you to designate what items will flow into the reports or results grid.
- Transaction type: allows you to select the transaction type you want to review/post. Default = All
- Starting date: sets beginning date for looking at items
- Through date: sets end date for looking at items
NOTE: many will leave both of these blank to ensure that all possible transactions are captured.
- Checkboxes: select the appropriate checkboxes to view appropriate transactions to display. Each transaction type label provides a "select all" box to the left of the label.
If a box is not selected, then no transaction from that section will be reported on.
It is recommended that before running the company financials, you select all boxes and ensure that all transactions for the appropriate time period have been posted.
This area shows all transactions based on the selected search options. Once the posting routine has been completed, it will display items that the system was unable to post.
In the results grid, check the box associated with the item line. To select all, check the box in the column header. Click the Post button, located at the top of the screen.
Posting detail reports
For when you want to see where transactions will be posting to. Or if you are looking for a transaction that will not post and why. Then using the Preposting reports can help to identify any issues.
Based on the selections made in the Search options, you can create a PDF report for the following:
- Preposting by account - Shows all transactions that are ready for posting grouped by the target GL account. It will also show transactions that will not post due to the lack of a designated GL account.
- Prepost by transaction - Shows all transactions that are ready for posting grouped by the invoice, voucher, payment or receipt number. It will also show that the item can not post due to the lack of a designated GL account.