Tracking forms are a flexible tool for tracking all kinds of information & transferring documents that used to be paper-based into electronic records that can be searched, printed, and shared electronically. Tracking forms use custom fields to allow you to extend the basic form to include the information you want on the page.
Add new tracking form
Go to Menu > Admin/manager > System setup > Tracking > Define tracking forms.
Then click on the + sign to create a new tracking form.
Populate the form name and form prefix.
Choose a working level and form type. NOTE: These two values cannot be changed later.
- Company: Company forms are not tracked to a specific project. These might include vacation requests, comments from clients, etc.
- Project: Project forms are required to be linked to a project. These might include issues or to-do list.
- Static: Static forms do not have a person assigned to them.
- Workflow: Workflow forms can have someone assigned to them.
Display & notification options
- Only the author of the form can close it
When this option is selected, the form is assigned back to the author when anyone else tries to close it. This allows the author to ensure that work has been performed correctly before closing the form.
- Only the author can edit the non-custom form fields
This gives only the author the ability to edit fields on the header of the form (such as due date and assigned to).
- Only the author can edit the due date
This is a subset of the prior option. This would allow someone to change the assigned to, but not the due date.
- Notify the assigned person by email
Use this option to have the system send an email to an assigned person when the form is updated.
- Notify the author when the form is closed
Use this option to have the system send an email to the author when the form is marked as closed.
- Notify the author when the form is updated
Use this option to have the system send an email to the author when the form is updated by someone else.
Make sure to Save.
Verify access & form settings
From the new form, click on the + sign next to Access.
Now choose which Security groups have access to use this form.
Check your finished results and Save/close.
If you need more data/fields for the user to populate, you can add additional Setup custom fields.
If this is the first time, then you will be prompted to create your first custom field.
After the first one is made, simply click on the + sign next to Available fields to create more.
For more info on custom fields and their uses, please check out the Custom fields overview [in-depth guide].
Test out the form
Go to Menu > Everyone > Tracking forms.
Click on the + Sign and choose a form.
Follow the steps of the form and submit.
For more on this part of the process, see the Everyone > Tracking forms page [guide].