Once a payment is associated with a vendor invoice, you are no longer allowed to edit the vendor invoice. The voiding of the payment on top of that locks it down even further.
This guide will explain the process to free up the vendor invoice if you have created a payment and voided its payment.
- Voiding a payment will simply make the vendor invoice available for payment generation again, but will not allow you to edit the vendor invoice.
- Once a vendor invoice has been initially saved, you cannot change the vendor it's for. In this case, you can delete the vendor invoice in error and recreate it with the correct vendor.
Steps to resolve
In order to edit the voucher you must do the following:
1. Open the vendor invoice
2. Unpost vendor invoice
3. click on Summary: Paid in cash value
4. ctrl+click (Win) / Cmd+click (mac) on payment number
5. from Payment > Unpost >mouse over vendor invoice line >click Trash icon > Save
6. return to the Vendor invoice tab > Refresh tab > you can now edit the vendor invoice
7. Once completed editing, click > SAVE > Post
8. Return to payment tab > REFRESH > click INVOICE + icon
9. select vendor invoice, click > SAVE > Post payment
Full workflow example:
What do I do with the payment?
This will depend on what you have done with the vendor invoice:
I only needed to edit the invoice, the payment remains the same>>
Follow instructions above
The invoice is from the wrong vendor, so I need to delete the invoice and void the payment>>
1. Follow the instructions above Step 1- 5 to disconnect the payment from the vendor invoice. Once disconnected, Post the payment >...More > VOID payment and Post the void payment.
2. Return to the "old" vendor invoice >...More > Delete
3. Create a new vendor invoice for the correct vendor and follow the normal create vendor payment workflow
NOTE: You may come across similar but different scenarios, however, the above examples can relate to most all needs of this type.