Typically, payments are created using the select invoices for payment method. That can be found via Menu > Purchasing > Select invoices for payment screen. However, there may be times when a unique payment will need to be created that is not connected to a vendor invoice.
NOTE: Payments can only be created for vendors
Menu > Purchasing > Today purchasing > + > New payment. this will bring up the Edit payment screen for which to begin the process of manually adding a payment.
Payment header information
1. Select the vendor: Once selected the screen will refresh and display any unpaid invoices. Ignore for now.
2. Enter check amount: enter the total amount of the payment. NOTE: This must be done prior to selecting any vendor invoice to ensure proper application of the payment to the invoice.
3. Select payment date/posting date: Default: 'today's date' > The payment date will be printed on the check. The posting date will be the date the payment affects the GL. Typically these are kept the same.
4. Check number: This is typically left blank, so it will be available for printing/ACH tracking. Otherwise, enter the appropriate check number or ACH reference number.
5. Cash account: Default: GL tracking options: Default GL cash account: select the appropriate GL bank account if not already designated.
6. Check memo: enter an appropriate note that will print on the check
Payment line information
Pay to expense
Select the Expense tab > Select the GL expense account > Enter a description > Save
Pay to vendor invoice
Select the Invoices tab > select the appropriate invoice > Save
NOTE: It is recommended that you use the Select invoices for payment method
Once the line details are created if no check number has been entered, you can proceed to the Print checks screen. Otherwise, click the Post button at the top of the screen.
NOTE: Once a payment is 'cleared' in account reconciliation, it is locked down & can't be edited, other than the Memo field on the header & the Exclude from 1099 at the line level.
In order to edit a payment:
1) Open account reconciliation
2) Unpost payment
Once the above is completed you will be able to edit any of the fields below
System settings: 'security rights enabled': Allows you to set the visible columns visible in the Expense & Invoices tab
VOID: this will create a Void payment check number: "CheckNumber" VOID. This new payment will need to be posted & cleared in your next reconciliation. Any vendor invoices associated with the payment will be "OPEN" and ready for payment.
Create schedule: Only available for 'expense only' or 'unapplied payments': This allows you to create a recurring scheduled transaction based on this transaction.
LOG: displays a log of posting, etc connected to the payment
Delete: deletes payment. Once confirmed there is no delete Undo. You must create a new payment.
Payment header information
Click the Details pencil Icon to edit the header information of the payment
- GL company: Once the payment is saved, this cannot be edited
- Vendor: Once the payment is saved, this cannot be edited
- Check number: Change to the appropriate number. NOTE: if this is connected to printed check stock, you should not change it to retain parity between the system and check stock.
- Check amount: Enter the amount of the payment. You may need to edit line detail information or the difference will be posted to 'unapplied amount'.
- Check date: Date printed on the check. NOTE: if this is connected to printed check stock, you should not change it to retain parity between the system and check stock.
- Posting date: select the date the payment will post to your general ledger
- Cash account: select the cash account that will be used for the payment.
- Pay to name: Default: company name or DBA name from vendor record: after the initial save of payment, the contents of this field will be used to print in the 'pay to order' line on payment
- Address: Default: company address: after the initial save of payment, the contents of this field will be used to print in the 'company address' section of the payment
- Opening transactions: if selected, the payment will NOT post to any GL account. Any selected invoices will still show as paid. Typically this is only used at the time your agency begins using Workamajig.
This is a display-only area
- Posted: YES/NO >> click on YES to view GL posting information
- Check memo: to edit click on Details pencil icon
- Opening transaction: YES/NO
- Add invoice to voucher: Click the + icon to select other open vendor invoices
- Invoice #, invoice date, amount open: these fields cannot be edited
- Discount amount: enter the prepayment discount amount offered by the vendor.
- Applied: enter the amount to apply to vendor invoice.
- Exclude from 1099: enter the amount to be excluded from 1099/1096 reporting for the vendor. NOTE: Payment does not need to be unposted to edit this field.
- Delete invoice line from voucher: To remove an invoice line, mouse over the line & click the red Trashcan icon.
The Expense tab is used when no invoice will be used. This allows you to direct the payment to a specified GL account.
- GL account: enter GL expense account the payment should be directed towards.
- Amount: enter the amount to be directed toward the above account. NOTE: amount entered cannot exceed the 'unapplied amount' or 'payment amount'.
- Exclude from 1099: enter the amount that should be excluded from 1099/1096 reporting for this vendor payment. NOTE: Payment does not need to be unposted to edit this field.
The Prepayment tab will display invoices that have been associated with the payment using an open unapplied amount. This connection is made when a new voucher is created and via the Payments tab, this particular payment is selected. From a new payment screen, there is no way to make this connection.
Click the + icon to upload a file to the payment. NOTE: This attachment is only visible via the payment.