Vendor Payments allow you to track how much you actually pay vendors and print checks directly from Workamajig. Payments will usually be created using Menu > Payments > Select Invoices For Payment screen. However, they can also be entered manually via Menu > Purchasing > Payment : .
- Manual Payments can be associated with Vendor Invoices, directly against expense accounts if there is no vendor invoice, or left unapplied for future association with a vendor invoice.
- Recurring ACH payments can be scheduled to be auto-generated using the Schedule Transaction feature.
- For ACH transactions you can enter the transaction number in the Check Number field to record this.
With approved Vendor Invoices already in the system, then go to Menu > Purchasing > Payments > Select Invoices For Payment to generate payments for Printing and/or record keeping of the transaction. You can also use the option to pay with a credit card to reconcile the Unmatched Charges in the Credit Card Connector.
You can also create a standalone payment from Menu > Purchasing > Payments > New Payment, that posts directly to an expense account without the use of a Vendor Invoice. This is used is situations where you do not need to accrue the transaction, such as rent or a misc payment that was made.
Once you have the Payments made, then traditionally the next step is to print a check to mail the Vendor. To do this, go to Menu > Purchasing > Payments > Print Checks.
If the payment was made to record what has already been paid, such as an ACH transaction or similar online payment, and you generated the payment using the Select Invoices For Payment screen, then you will want to go to the payments listing screen, and locate the payment by the amount and vendor, since a Check Number has not yet been assigned. Then open the Payment, and enter in the ACH or similar online Transaction ID into the Check Number field (must be unique). Save. With a Check Number populated, the payment will no longer appear in the Print Check queue.
To see and report on all Payments in the system, or to create a Manual Payment, go to Menu > Purchasing > Payments
Create a Manual Payment
In general, you will create a payment using the Menu>Purchasing>Select Invoices For Payment screen. This topic will describe how to enter a manual payment into the system.
Go to Menu > Purchasing > Payment : , this will bring up the Edit Payment screen for which to begin the process of adding a payment manually.
Payment Header Information
Save: Saves the information in the record.
Cancel: Reverts back to your last Save.
New: Quick button to add a New Payment without having to close the one you have open.
Delete: Deletes the record (if possible based on Record Locking).
Post: Posts the line information down the to GL.
Void: Creates a Void Payment to reverse out the original Payment.
Schedule: Allows you to create a Scheduled Transaction based on this transaction.
Log: See a log of what has changed since it was originally saved.
Admin Settings: Shortcuts to System Setup items that relate to Payments.
Company: If you have GL Companies enabled, then you will need to choose a GL Company before populating anything else.
Vendor: select/enter the vendor that you will be paying.
Check Number: If you will be using the Print Check function, this will be left blank. If this is an ACH payment, enter the bank reference number for the ACH transaction.
Check Amount: Enter the amount of the payment.
Check Date: select the date to be printed on the check. Default: "today's" date.
Posting Date: select the date the payment will post to your general ledger. Default: "today's" date.
Cash Account: select the cash account that will be used for the payment. Default: prefilled default is the Cash Account designated in GL Tracking Options.
The Invoices tab allows you to select which vendor invoices to apply this payment to.
- Add Invoice to Voucher: Click the icon to show a list of open voucher for the vendor.
- Invoice #, Invoice Date, Amount Open: these will fill in with the selected invoice.
- Discount Amount: enter the amount for prepayment discount offered by the vendor.
- Amount: enter amount that is to be applied from the payment toward the invoice.
- Amount Excluded from 1099: enter amount to be excluded from 1099/1096 reporting for the vendor.
- Delete Invoice Line from Voucher: To remove an invoice line, highlight the line and click the icon.
The Expense tab is used when no invoice will be used. This allows you to direct the payment to a specified GL account.
- GL Account: enter GL expense account the payment should be directed towards.
- Amount: enter the amount to directed towards the above account.
- Exclude from 1099: enter the amount that should be excluded from 1099/1096 reporting for this vendor payment.
The Prepayment tab will display invoices that have been associated with the payment using an open Unapplied Amount. This connection is made when a new voucher is created and via the Payments tab, this particular payment is selected. From a new payment screen, there is no way to make this connection.
The Settings tab allows you to set payee information and check posting information.
- Pay To Name: This is the name that will be printed in the Pay To Order area of your check. Default: Displays vendor Company Name or Billing Name, if set up. This can be edited.
- Address: Default: displays Billing Address designated on Company record.
- Status: shows posting status of the payment. If posted, you can click on Status to display posting details.
- Opening Transactions: if selected, the payment will no post to any GL account. Any selected invoices will still show as paid. Typically this is only used at the time your agency begins using Workamajig.
- Post Unapplied Amount To: This is the GL Account to be used for any unapplied payment amount. The default should be set up via GL Tracking Options.
- Check Memo: Prints in Check Memo area
I am unable to edit a payment
- There are a number of reasons a payment cannot be edited...
- You do you have the right to edit approved transactions: this is a security right under the Accounting section: Edit Transactions after approval. Talk to your Workamajig Administrator to decide if you should have these rights.
- Has the payment been Posted: for any transactions, the payment needs to be unposted. For text fields, you do not need to un-post, these can be edited without un-posting.
- Has the payment been cleared in an Account reconciliation: if the payment has been cleared, you must Open the reconcile. Once open the payment can be unposted.
- Has the payment been voided: if the payment is voided, you must delete the void in order to edit the payment. After editing, you can then void the payment again. Ensure the posting date of the original VOID is entered to maintain GL integrity.
I need to edit/delete an order but there is a vendor invoice and payment/voided payment associated with the voucher
- Workamajig locks down transactions as they move forward in the system. In order to edit the invoice, you need to detach the transactions that occurred afterward.
- Here are the steps needed so you can edit the transaction:
- Once the order has been edited, you will be able to go back up the ladder to and Finalize the Account Reconcile.
- Open the Account Reconcile associated with the payment: This releases the Void.
- Open the Void>Unpost>Delete: This will release the Payment.
- Open the Payment>Unpost>delete the payment or delete the line associated with vendor invoice>Save: This will release the Vendor Invoice.
- Open the Vendor Invoice>Unpost>delete the invoice or delete the line associated with the Order>Save: This will release the Order.
- Edit the Order.