Welcome To Workamajig!
As a member of the Account Executive/Project Management Staff, you will want to be familiar with:
- Project Intake
- How to create a new project
- Confirm Project Schedule
- How to edit and approve an estimate
- How to track project information
If you do not see the items described in this guide, please let us know at email@example.com.
Workamajig provides 2 methods of initial project information gathering and then converting this information into a project.
1. Opportunities: This is part of the sales process. It allows you to create a project budget and set a project template during the sales process.
2. Project Request Form: As the name implies, this is an electronic form that can be filled in and routed for approval. Final approval allows you to convert the request into a project.
How To Create A New Project
Whether using the above project intake methods or manually creating a project, the steps provided below will still be followed. With the project intake method, many of the fields will already be filled in for you.
Manual: Create New Project
From Menu > Project Manager > Projects > click the icon. This will open the New Project screen.
1. Fill in the appropriate fields:
Copy Tasks From Project Template
When creating a New Project, you can copy tasks from a Project Template, Another Project, or a Project Type. However, you should be using Project Template. The templates will have predefined project schedules, assignments, and estimates available to you for quick adjustments and to move forward with projects.
Project Name: Enter an appropriately descriptive name for the project.
Project Number: Leave this BLANK. The system will auto-number the project upon save.
Client: Select the appropriate client for the project.
Account Manager: Select the appropriate Account Manager for the project. This may auto-fill after selecting a client. You can adjust, if necessary.
Project Description: This is a text field to enter information regarding the project. This may be visible on client invoices.
Schedule: Project Start Date: This will default to "today's date". Adjust to the appropriate date. This will be used to define when the schedule begins.
Project Due Date: Enter the due date of the project. This will allow you to see any tasks in the schedule that will go beyond this date, so you may adjust the schedule accordingly.
2. SAVE: Click save after filling in all appropriate information. This will then create a new project and assign a project number. The screen will refresh to display the Project Setup: General screen.
Confirm Each Section of the Project Setup
Clicking on theafter reviewing each section is a visual cue to what has been confirmed in the setup
Beginning with the Project Settings review and adjust the settings if needed. The project will default into a Sales Opportunity status. You should change this to Production when you are ready to begin.
Confirm The Schedule
If you did not copy a template in the setup, your schedule will be blank and you will be able to set up the schedule by clicking
If you are manually creating the schedule add the tasks, services, days, and predecessors to complete the setup. Click SAVE often. For detailed instructions on creating a schedule see Project Schedules
If you have created the new project from a template then confirm each task and adjust the number of hours each service will take to complete the assignment. At this point, you are not worried about the people, only the service/labor categories that will be needed to complete each task.
From Project Central navigation, click on Schedule:
- Review each task to confirm that this is the schedule that will be needed for this project. Pay close attention to the Assigned column.
- For any tasks that need labor adjusted, click into the Assigned column.
- Adjust the Allocated Hours and Services, if necessary.
- Repeat for each task, if needed.
Create The Project Estimate
The idea of the Project Estimate is to allow you to provide an estimated target of labor and expenses. You are able to create as many estimates as you want on the project. Once an estimate is approved, this will be used by the project as the Project Budget.
In the estimate screen, you are further able to differentiate your estimates between "Original" and "Change Order" estimates. This will allow you to track changes in scope to the project. On the estimate, you are able to designate an estimate as a "Change Order". All estimates without this designation will be considered "Original" budgets. This allows you to analyze the current budget, original budget, and change the order budget.
To gain the most benefit from Workamajig, we recommend that your estimating be based upon your defined timeline and labor roles (Task and Service).
To begin a new project estimate: click on Estimates the project screen.
Click Show Advanced Options
Estimate Name: Enter a required name for the estimate. By default, the Project name will be used.
Change Order: Check if this is a change order estimate. Leave unchecked if a regular estimate. By default this is unchecked.
Estimate Type: This should be By Task and Service
Internal Approver: Select the person that will approve the estimate for your company. The default is the Account Manager of the project.
Internal Approval Due Date: If Internal Approver is set to a person other than the Account Manager, this allows a due date for the approval process to be set.
External Approver: Select contact at Client company responsible for approving the estimate. NOTE: If a name is entered, that person must approve the estimate for the estimate to be fully approved. Most will leave this section blank.
Click on the Total Labor
The most effective way to create the estimate is to pull the information you already created in the Project Schedule into the estimate via the "Pull from Schedule" option under the button
If you would rather create your own estimate such as a simple one-line estimate just adjust the data in the Service hours, rates or gross.
If you have Expenses you would like to add to the Estimate click Gross Expenses
1. Add the details of the Expenses in the boxes and continue to add additional expenses by inserting rows. Click the toggle to add the details of the expenses. If you would like to request for quotes from your vendors click the Create a Quote option and follow the instructions found in the help guide Request for Quotes
- In the Task box, enter the task on the project to relate this estimate too. This may be required depending on your selected options.
- In the Item ID box, enter the item ID to tie this expense too. This may be required depending on your selected options.
- In the Vendor ID box, you can enter the vendor ID for the company that you will purchase this item from. This is not required but makes generating purchase orders from your estimate much faster later.
- Enter a Short Description of the expense.
- Enter a Long Description of the expense, if you wish to relate more explanation of the expense to a client on the estimate.
- If you have selected Allow Multiple Quantities on the estimate, you will see one set of boxes for Quantity, Unit Cost, UOM, Net, Markup, and Gross for each option. If you have not selected the multiple quantity options, you will see only one set of boxes for the amounts.
- Select Tax 1 if the sales tax 1 applies to this expense.
- Select Tax 2 if the sales tax 2 applies to this expense.
- Select the Billable option if this expense is billable to the client.
2. Once you are satisfied with your estimate the next step is to prepare it for the client. Under the button click the Estimate Settings
Check and/or change the information in the Estimate Settings as necessary.
Primary Contact: Select a contact name that this estimate is for. This field allows you to select the address from the contact when printing the estimate.
Estimate Date: Enter a specific date you would like to appear on the estimate. If this is left blank, the system will use the date when it is printed.
Delivery Date: Enter a delivery date for this project. If the date is left blank, it will not appear on the printed estimate.
Change Order: Mark this box if you are creating a change order for the client
Description: This will print on the client's estimate. You can leave blank.
External Approver: You can select the client contact as an approver but most people will leave this blank because if selected it will not allow the process to move forward until both internal and external parties approve the estimate.
Internal Approver Due Date: If Internal Approver is set to a person other than the Account Manager, this allows a due date for the approval process to be set.
Estimate Template: The Estimate Template will default in from the client if you have chosen one or you can update it at this time.
****If you have not already created estimate templates then you learn to create them following this link: Estimate Templates
After clicking save go to the button to find and click "print". This will bring up the Estimate in the Template you have chosen. If it what you would like to send to your client then you can either
1. Print and Send through the Workamajig system . or
2. Create a PDF to email attach through your own work email.
SUBMIT ESTIMATE FOR APPROVAL
In the top right corner, click Submit. This will send the estimate to the person designated as the Internal Approver. If this is you, you will click on Approve, instead.
Once the Estimate is approved, it becomes the Budget for your project.
The final part of the project setup is getting your Team set to begin the Project. In the Setup click Team
The Account Manager for the Project will be the only default person on the team.
To add people to the team of the project click the and select from your staff, contacts, clients, teams or leads
Add the appropriate services needed for the project to each staff member in accordance with the schedule assignments. When complete click the "Auto Assign" which will replace all of the services on the project with the people with the same service. If more than one person has the same service the system will split the assigned task among the staff selected.
Go back into the Schedule to see how the Auto Assign has now replaced all of the Services with Assigned Staff. You will see their initial in the Services area. You can still manually fix forgotten assignments by clicking into the missing area and manually entering the information
How to Track Project Information
As a Project Manager, you can view all your projects and their statuses
Project Listing Screen Menu>Project>Projects
By default, this page will show all projects grouped by client alphabetically. Clicking any column will sort according to that field. You are able to search for a specific project in the field under the "Projects" heading.
On the right-hand side, Workamajig will populate a Gantt chart based on your project schedule. This is viewable in a day, week or month view.
Clicking the blue link for any project on this page will open the project landing page.
Information on this page will be placed into columns that can be sorted on an ascending or descending view by clicking into the column header. Ascending columns are notated with an arrow (▲) in the column header as seen below:
From the ...More button at the top of the page, you are able to personalize how the information on this page appears. Clicking Display Options causes this menu to slide out:
Projects with My Open Assignments Only: Will filter this list to projects in which you are assigned at least one task that has not been marked as complete.
Only Projects I am On the Team: Will filter this list to projects you are on the team for, regardless of whether you have been assigned a task.
Group By: Allows you to change the way this page groups information. This is set to client by default.
Sort By: Changes the way individual items are sorted in the groups selected.
Project Status: Allows you to filter this screen to view projects in a specified status.
Billing Status: Allows you to filter this screen to view projects in a specified billing status.
Budget Warning Percentage: Sets the point that the financial status column turns from green to red or yellow.
You can click the More button to access the System Settings panel, which allows you to adjust what your users see.
Selecting the blue Edit Columns option at the bottom of the System Settings panel will open a page allowing you to customize the visible Fields of the Projects list.
Fields: Selects which columns will populate the listing.
Display Order: Allows you to drag and drop these fields in the order you would like them.
Menu>Project: Traffic>Traffic Calendar: This screen provides an overall view of your projects, budget vs actual info, and a Gantt view of schedules.
Project Budget Analysis
Menu>Reports>Project Financial Reports>Project Budget Analysis: This report provides a good overview of all project Budget vs. Actual vs. Billing.