Project Templates Training for Agencies
Attendees: Core Workamajig Implementation Team, Project Managers, Traffic Team.
The use of project templates is a quick and efficient method for creating projects in Workamajig. A template allows you to set up specific workflows based upon the type of work you will be performing for your client. A typical template will include a schedule or timeline for major milestones/Tasks, an estimate, and Role-based labor assignments for the Tasks.
Why is this important? Setting up templates will allow your agency to define a major portion of your workflow for the services you provide to your clients. By defining the roles to be used, timing and connection between each milestone will decrease time spent in getting the project setup and going. This can also feedback to your Sales/New Business team by providing a known value and timing of your services to work from when trying to win work for the agency.
A project and template are basically the same concepts. The major difference is you will not designate a client and you will not typically assign staff.
- Review Global Lists for Project Status Codes and Project Types.
- Project Status Codes
- 1st in line is the default status code (Estimating by default)
- Active/Not Active
- Allow Time Entries
- Allow Expenses
- Project Types
- Estimate Services (Limit the number of services showing on an estimate)
- Auto Assign Users (Similar to the Auto Assign on an employee record, but only for specific project types)
- Project Status Codes
- Give the New Project Template an ID and a name.
NOTE: (Optional) Adding T- as a prefix to the ID is the WMJ Way to quickly identify a template from a project.
- Review Setup of Project.
Once we have a template created, we can then focus on the schedule as this is the heart of Workamajig and where all data will track.
- Define what a task is and how to set it up for tracking of time.
- Define Days vs. Allocated Hours and all tasks happen on at least 1 day. No 0-day tasks.
- Add assignments to the tasks in order to allocate time and service as a placeholder.
- Link tasks together via the predecessor option. Review Negative Lag.
- Hours on the task assignments can feed a task and service estimate.
- Review default project templates in Workamajig.
- Creating a project template for each project type needed by your agency is the final goal, but create two templates for your homework.
- Update Project Types.
- Update Services.
NOTE: In the beginning, please keep your templates simple. This will allow you to easily introduce the system to all staff and also allow you to see how time and expenses flow through the project, how traffic is accomplished, and the best practices for Project Management. You can always increase the complexity of a project timeline as you become more comfortable with Workamajig.
Remember, as your training and support team, we are here to help. If you have difficulty with your homework please email email@example.com. Your Account Manager or other Support Team member will assist you.